Advocating for small business
Ensuring the voice of Western Australian small business is heard and considered by governments at all levels is one of our key roles.
Our Policy and Advocacy team is focused on:
- evaluating and providing advice on existing government policies and legislation
- completing submissions in response to proposed new or amended government policies
- conducting research into the small business sector
- liaising with, and representing, the views of small business owners to government bodies
- providing advice and support to the Minister for Small Business on matters affecting the sector.
Through this work, we influence the development of policy and legislation that relates to the small business sector, ensuring that its impact is minimised. By doing so, we are supporting the government to improve the operating environment for small business owners.
Completed policy and advocacy activities
Policy submissions and advocacy work we completed during the 2018/19 year includes:
- faster payment times for small business suppliers
- improving payments to construction industry subcontractors
- procurement reform to help increase government supply opportunities for small business
- issues affecting the franchising industry
- representing small business interests on government committees and working groups.
Help shape future policy and advocacy submissions
The views of small business owners play an important role in helping us learn more about their key concerns. These views are then incorporated into our policy submissions.
If you operate a small business in WA and would like to have your say on issues affecting the sector by participating in future surveys, please email us.